Monday, October 13, 2008

Girls Are Made of Sugar and Spice

Being a girl is the best! While I hardly ever make the time to do it for myself, I always take a few extra moments every day to make sure Lily is enjoying the highlights of being a girl! Even without any direction from me, she gravitates to her bows, jewelry, purses and shoes. But beyond the obvious, she is also forgiving, generous, emotional, strong, sensitive, opinionated, thoughtful, witty and charming -- all of the things that girls are made of (in addition to sugar and spice!).

This in mind, I have been disappointed in my own girliness and domestic skills. I feel like home making is uniquely feminine, but I seem to be struggling with it. I have great ideas for crafts, recipes, home decorating and even sewing projects. But more than not, my efforts flop or I can't commit the time needed to do it right. So while I should give myself a pat on the back for trying, I am secretly (not anymore) frustrated with my domesticity (is that a word?).

I am feeling like to be a WHOLE girlie-girl, you should know how to make a pot roast without pulling out the cook book. You should know how to sew on a button without hoping you get it right. You should be able to start, finish and put away a load of laundry...not leave it folded in the hallway for your family to rummage through! And, you should have shaved legs, clean hair and a scent of sugar on your skin.


So, what to do! How to be a good role model for a girlie girl?

1. Learn and master a few dishes that are fab and use less than 5 ingredients. And, use your china more often....it can make take-out feel more special.

2. Do not fear the sewing machine.

3. Commit to one load of laundry a night. Start it. Finish it and put it away. The rest can stay in the basket.

4. Take the extra time to do hair, make up, and pick out the perfect accessories. When you are in a rush, stick with the basics -- simple pony tail and pearls.

5. Use that FRESH perfume you love so much! Splurge on yourself, girlfriend!

Note to Lily -- YOU ARE PERFECT just as you are. Don't fret on what you can't do -- use it as motivation. Or just let it go. Instead find your passion and go, go, go!

Note to SELF -- read note above!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE PERFECT just as you are. Don't fret on what you can't do -- use it as motivation. Or just let it go. Instead find your passion and go, go, go!

Anonymous said...

Great site, Marcey. It makes me happy and proud to read it. I'm inspired to start a blog myself - maybe tomorrow. Kanika

me said...

Loved reading this...cute and so REAL!

Blog Archive